Here we go yet again. Feel free to chime in on the...
Hurlock to East New Market, MD (16 Miles) Route Map
Any route that takes you across a “Suicide Bridge” has got to be intriguing. This 16 mile flat loop on Maryland’s Eastern Shore in Dorchester County, MD is a great beginner ride. Wide shoulders, quiet country roads, and great scenery makes the perfect place to introduce friends to the sport of cycling.
- Start at North Dorchester High School at the intersection of Route 14 and Cloverdale Road.
- From the parking lot, turn right on Cloverdale Road.
- Come to a stop (.1), and turn right onto Route 14.
- Follow to Shiloh Church/ Hurlock Road/Route 331 (.2) and turn left.
- Follow this road, which becomes S. Main Street/Route 331, into downtown Hurlock (2.6).
- Follow S. Main Street, which becomes Academy Street, through the town, passing a deli (3.5) and a drug store (3.6) as well as other shops.
- You will cross over Old Stagecoach Road (5.1) on your way out of town.
- Academy Street/Route 331 becomes Waddells Corner Road/Route 331 as you exit Hurlock.
- As you near the intersection of Waddells Corner Road/Route 331 and East New Market/Ellwood Road/Route 16 (6.2), prepare to cross over Route 16 on Cabin Creek Road, and continue.
- Look ahead for Suicide Bridge Road (7.8), and turn right here. Pass a restaurant on your right (9.6), and cross the bridge.
- You will enter the town of Secretary (11.1), where Suicide Bridge Road becomes Poplar Street.
- Come to a stop at Main Street (11.4) where a café is located, and turn left.
- Continue on Main Street/Route 14 and follow it to East New Market (12.4) where it becomes Railroad Avenue/Route 14.
- You will pass a store/deli on your left (12.8) and a restaurant nearby on you right (12.8) at the intersection of Route 14/Railroad Avenue and Route 16/Main Street.
- Continue to the intersection of Route 14 and Route 392 (13.3). Carefully cross this intersection and continue back to the North Dorchester High School parking lot (16).